Saturday, May 24, 2014

Takes All Types To Enjoy Cycling In Red Rock Canyon


So, I take off from my apartment at 6 a.m. and the weather is unreal -- gorgeous with no winds with temps in the 70-degree range.

As I head for the sacred Red Rock Canyon this Saturday, some friends couldn't join me so I pedal by myself and quickly realize that the Las Vegas bicycling community has also discovered this amazing lush weather, which is ideal for cycling this morning.

On State Road 159, the main road that serves as the path to Red Rock mecca, it looks like there's an organized ride when in fact in just waves and waves of cyclists making the weekly Saturday morning pilgrimage.

There's a whole bevy of different bike clubs, riding cliques and plain old groups of biking buddies on the road. Here's the Red Burros.


Generally speaking, there are many bike groups like the speedy Burros and the blue-and-green kit bike club.

Then, there's the Las Vegas Valley Bike Club and the Lisa Caterbone bike club, which is great for newbie roadies who want a mellow and safe cycling experience.

The local Summerlin/Spring Valley bike shops like Las Vegas Cyclery, McGhie's, Broken Spoke and Peloton Sports have their followings. And then, there's the Lifetime hardbody roadies out of Summerlin.

I love to stop and take photos and go at my own pace, which usually varies, so I'm not a good candidate for these rides because everyone goes at the same speed and don't stop for quirky stuff that often draws my attention.

This morning, I gave special attention to the quasi-butte-like formation on the south side of State Road 159 and often feel bad that its more famous neighbor on the north side -- Red Rock Loop area -- gets all the pub. So, here's to you, pseudo-looking-butte formation.



And here's a short video of our friendly quasi-butte.

On the way home, I stopped and took some photos of datura doing its thing along SR 159. There were several plants, but I enjoyed this one the most.


No comments: